Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bottle o' Wine

I just got back from a drive, a drive without a destination, just four wheels and a radio station. I was hungry & thirsty, but I couldn't pull over until the show was over. I was busy falling in love with Rickie Lee Jones.

It was a lonely night. No night is a lonelier night than a lonely Saturday night. So I decided to use my empty stomach and thirst to my advantage, & drink a bottle of wine, for a buzz that strong & pure. It's not like I drink to solve my problems, I just drink, and sometimes the problems just happen to be along for the ride. Mmm.. this wine is dark & dry, just like my sense of humor. I don't drink a lot of wine, & I don't exactly know why. It's a great buzz, a body buzz, a buzz that hugs you when it says hello & holds you close like a lover or a touchy-feely friend that you don't see often enough. The wine is in my big Bugs Bunny coffee cup, which is white on the inside & stained by black coffee with whiskey & red wine with more red wine.

So I'm about to the bottom of my 2nd cup. I think I'll top it off. Once the bottle is done, my night will begin. The plan is for my shoes to get reacquainted with the road. There are taverns within walking distance, and from there, cabs to call. Going out solo is a fork in an unknown road. You might run into someone you know (good thing) or you might run into someone you know (bad thing). You might turn strangers into friends, or strangers might turn themselves into people you wish were still strangers. Strange is a two-way street. You're never more alone than when you're alone in a crowd.

Well it's been awhile since I uncorked this bottle, & the last of it is in the cup. Bottoms up! Well, in a way: I'm a drinker, not a slammer. A marathon man. On my first stop tonight, I'll order something white & boozy & bubbly: like me! Perhaps a vodka press or a gin & sweet. Oh yeah, & maybe I should eat something. Or hit the titty bar. A man has appetites.

"Stay, & help me to end the day. And if you don't mind, we'll break a bottle of wine. Stick around, & maybe we'll put one down. 'Cause I'd like to find what lies behind those eyes." - Pink Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment